BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup or Archive to Remote Linux Box

2008-12-29 12:34:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup or Archive to Remote Linux Box
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:31:44 -0600
Times Enemy wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> What is the preferred and secure method for using BackupPC to place
> backups, or a copy of the backups, on a remote server?
>
> The goal is to have the local BackupPC ready for most recoveries, and a
> remote, off-site copy if something happens to the local set.

There are several approaches.  The easiest, if you have enough internet
bandwidth is to have a completely independent instance running
elsewhere, perhaps with a VPN tunnel to be able to access the targets.
Another is to rsync the archive filesystem to a remote machine
periodically. However, the number of hardlinks in the archive make this
a problem.  Using rsync 3.x on machines with lots of RAM will help but
it may still take too long to be practical.

You can also do some kind of filesystem copy to external drives that are
  rotated offsite.  You still have the issue with hard links so you need
an image type copy for this.  I do it with a RAID1 set where a 3rd
member is periodically added, re-synced, and rotated off site. This only
requires stopping backuppc and unmounting the filesystem momentarly
while the drive is removed, but the copy keeps the machine busy enough
for about 2 hours that running backupps wouldn't be practical anyway.
You could also use LVM snapshots to get about the same effect.