BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] missing rdev on device...

2008-12-24 02:30:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] missing rdev on device...
From: "Nils Breunese (Lemonbit)" <nils AT lemonbit DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 08:28:15 +0100
cpreston wrote:

> If you are on this mailing list and have an opinion about Backup
> Central's use of this list, please read this message and respond.
> I'm doing what I'm doing because I believe it helps the BackupPC
> community -- no other reason.  It sure isn't to generate more web
> traffic.  (If that's all I wanted to do, I could do that by setting
> up a one-way setup where I import the messages from the list and
> don't send forum messages back to the list.)  I believe that what
> I'm doing is the right thing, but at least one member of the list
> seems to feel rather strongly in the opposite direction.  I thought
> I'd give you a chance to respond to that.

I'm with Holger on this one. I'm a member of a lot of mailinglists and
I find the edited reposts coming from Backup Central quite annoying.

> Second, I DO understand the basics of email threading, and am well
> acquainted with the appropriate RFCs.  I'm a Unix geek through and
> through and used to use Usenet before it got popular and got all
> messed up.

I feel now this mailinglist is getting messed up. And I think Holger
felt the same.

> Do you yell at people that use email clients that mess up the thread
> as well?  Just curious.

I do from time to time, yes.

> Apparently there's some combination of what I'm doing and what this
> poster is doing that is driving you crazy.  I _think_ it's that he's
> been editing previous posts.  The ability to edit a previous post is
> on by default, but I have now turned it off.  (In fact, I decided to
> do it for all forums.)  See how easy that was?  I am neither stupid
> nor evil.  Quit trying to make me so.  I am a reasonable person who
> responds to reasonable requests, even when they are stated rather
> unreasonably strong, as is the case in your case.

Turning off editing previous posts is probably going a long way
towards fixing our annoyance. Thanks for that.

> In addition, the poster to which you have sent such hateful sounding
> posts has posted both questions AND answers to this forum and by
> extension your mailing list.  (See
> http://www.backupcentral.com/phpBB2/search/author/Glassfox.html
>  )  While the majority of his/her posts have been questions, it
> seems that they are trying to help as well.  Maybe you could back
> off just a little.

I think Holger is maybe the most helpful and knowledgable person on
this mailinglist, so we might want him to stay as well.

> Then you said:
>>> Any idea what's wrong here?
>> I really couldn't care less.
>
> So you posted all that just to say that you weren't going to answer
> his question?  Now THAT'S being unreasonable.

I think he posted to say that he would have cared if the person asking
would refrain from sending edited posts to the mailinglist via Backup
Central. It was not the first time Holger expressed his annoyance with
posters coming through Backup Central, so I guess this was just the
drop and someone got a reaction that was maybe a bit stronger put than
he could have expected.

Just my 2 cents,

Nils Breunese.