BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] problem with linux client

2008-12-23 15:55:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] problem with linux client
From: Anand Gupta <anandiwp AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 02:22:02 +0530
Hi Les,

-------- Original Message  --------
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: anandiwp AT gmail DOT com, General list for user discussion, questions and support <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: 12/24/08 1:54 AM
Anand Gupta wrote:

One more question i have, when i see the backups being created by backuppc, to each directory name, i see f%2f prefixed to it. So this means i would always need backuppc running to restore files and hence a browser ? I can't use the normal rsync / command line to restore files for any machine :(

The file is compressed and doesn't have correct attributes since it is a link that may be shared by many instances.  You can use these command line tools to access the backups directly:
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#commandline_restore_options
You could use BackupPC_tarCreate through ssh, of course, to restore elsewhere.

Or you can use the server's restore option or download a tar or zip copy through a browser.

Thanks for the link. I see BackupPC_tarCreate and BackupPC_zipCreate for tar and zip. Is there an rsync version ? So instead of creating a tar or zip, it can rsync the data over to another location ?

The reason i asked is because the amount of data i am going to backup is 1T+ and thus creating a tar of the same would be unnecessary time consuming job, whereas infact i would only want to rsync the data across to another location.

My main motive is incase i don't have access to a browser, i can still restore files using console. My backup server runs behind a firewall, i only have console access to the server.

--
Thanks and Regards,

Anand