BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] new to backuppc

2008-12-23 14:32:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] new to backuppc
From: Anand Gupta <anandiwp AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 01:00:36 +0530
-------- Original Message  --------
From: Jeffrey J. Kosowsky <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: General list for user discussion, questions and support
<backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: 12/21/08 12:40 PM

> Anand Gupta wrote at about 04:11:05 +0530 on Saturday, December 20, 2008:
>  > Now i need to setup a windows host. I do have a question on that though,
> the
>  > cygwin-rsync package from sf states it doesn't have ssh on it, however from
>  > the howto it looks to me ssh would be required. Any ideas on that ?
>  >
> It's not required if you just use 'rsyncd' without an ssh tunnel
> (though rsyncd security alone is rather weak - just password
> protection and the data isn't encrypted).
>
> On the other hand, you have to be careful about using regular
> rsync-ssh on windows since many people report errors with hanged
> backups due to long or weird filenames in windows. This is a problem
> with rsync protocol 28 that has been fixed in protocol 30 --
> unfortunately, backuppc uses perl-File-RsyncP which has not yet been
> updated to protocol 30. You can get around it by using rsyncd with or
> without a separate ssh tunnel.

So is there a solution for this ? OR we are stuck with either to use
rsync without encryption or do ssh tunneling as recommended earlier. I
am already going to go mad over installing cygwin+rsync on so many
machines, the ssh tunneling package might be just over the edge :(

--
Thanks and Regards,

Anand