BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Specifying DHCP client addresses

2008-12-23 12:50:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Specifying DHCP client addresses
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 11:48:24 -0600
Juergen Harms wrote:
>  > I think you misunderstood this. Nmblookup runs on the backuppc server,
>  > not each client, and it communicates with the native windows name
>  > resolution protocol
>
> When I run nmblookup on the server, I expect a response to the broadcast
> from clients, and in particular from Linux clients (which do not have
> native windows name resolution). If I got it right, the nmbd daemon can
> do that job, and this daemon is packaged into the samba-server.

Yes, nmbd should work, but I assumed your clients were windows.

> I tried: after installing the samba-server and adjusting the firewall
> correspondingly I get the responses with the name-to-address mapping.
> Did I misinterpret how it works?
>
> Yes, I will have a look at installing a name server. But I wonder
> whether a 10-line script (probably fewer lines) for occasionally
> adjusting /etc/hosts is not much simpler.

Unless you have mobile laptops, why not just set static IP's on the
clients?  Even if you can't exclude a range for statics in the DHCP
server, most servers will try to ping an address to avoid giving out an
already-used IP.  I suppose you could have a problem if a machine was
turned off and it's IP was taken, but if you can assign all statics or
exclude a range for them you should be safe.