BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Specifying DHCP client addresses

2008-12-23 12:07:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Specifying DHCP client addresses
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 11:03:35 -0600
Juergen Harms wrote:
> I am trying to plan my first backupPC installation and have a question
> on how to set up the backupc/host file (Mandriva 9.0, intending to use
> rsync).
>
> The "How BackupPC Finds Hosts" section in the documentation is very
> clear: for DHCP hosts I should set the DHCP flag to 1 and then will get
> NETBIOS name resolution (rmblookup). That means, that I need to install
> a samba server on each DHCP client - which is an overkill and an
> undesired complication, I do not need samba if I use rsync.

I think you misunderstood this. Nmblookup runs on the backuppc server,
not each client, and it communicates with the native windows name
resolution protocol (i.e. broadcasts the netbios name and listens for
something to respond, or talks to a wins server if one is configured).
It should work with no setup if everything is on the same subnet.

> 2 questions:
>
> 1. If the /etc/hosts files on the server and clients contain the correct
> IP addresses, can I than simply set the DHCP flag to 0 and fake using
> static addresses, even if a host has obtained its address via DHCP?

Yes, as long as you know the address.  If you have any number of hosts
it would be better to set up a dns server, though.

> 2. If yes, has anybody experience in using nmap for verifying/correcting
> the /etc/hosts entries for use by backupPC? At present I use nmap (run
> as root) to get a list of valid name<->IP address mappings for manually
>   adjusting addresses if a DHCP laptop needs to assume certain server
> functions. It looks promising to digest this into an automatically run
> procedure.

That seems like more trouble than running a DNS server.  Most can be
configured to update dynamically.