BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] I broke perfection ...

2008-11-30 04:38:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] I broke perfection ...
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 10:35:51 +0100
> Since the testing, I've moved on to another issue that was brought to my
> attention during the work to get BackupPC working:  Fedora was probably not
> the best distribution of Linux to run a server function.  While working with
> other distro's, I goofed and trashed my perfectly running system.  I have
> rebuilt it up to the point of installing my ssh-keys for rsync.  In as far
> as I know, I'm doing the same thing as before when it worked out just fine.
> This time, it all looks good during the setup, but 'backuppc' user is not
> getting 'root' authority when tested.  I've tried several times,
> consistently getting the same result.  I am hoping that someone will see
> where this somewhat less of a newbie is messing up.  All comments are
> welcome.  -- ken

[...]

(I didn't think through everything you wrote...)

> -bash-3.2$ ssh -l root WinServer whoami
>
> The authenticity of host 'WinServer (192.168.1.101)' can't be established.
>
> RSA key fingerprint is 57:e6: . :7a:c6.   <== Should this be the same as
> when created in step one?

This should be the fingerprint of your WinServer's _host_ key. As far as
I can see, you did not create that one. SSH has basically two kinds of
keys:
1. host key
2. (optional) user key

A host key should never change. The public key part of the host key is
stored in known_hosts to protect against man-in-the-middle attacks.

> Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? ^C  <<<=== ABORTED
> DUE TO FAILURE

HTH,

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de