BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Possible BackupPC_dump problem

2008-11-23 13:34:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Possible BackupPC_dump problem
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 13:32:37 -0500
Shawn Austin wrote at about 13:26:02 -0500 on Sunday, November 23, 2008:
 > Hello all,
 >
 > Recently, when I went to restore a directory, I ran into a problem where the
 > files were not listed in the backup interface.
 > I checked the attrib file for that directory with BackupPC_attribPrint and I
 > was surprised by what I saw.
 > For all the files that were not showing up in the interface, the values in
 > the attrib file were consistently wrong.
 > Example:
 >
 >  'KB938828.log' => {
 >     'uid' => 0,
 >     'mtime' => 0,
 >     'mode' => 0,
 >     'size' => 0,
 >     'sizeDiv4GB' => 0,
 >     'type' => 10,
 >     'gid' => 0,
 >     'sizeMod4GB' => 0
 >   },
 >   'RSETPATH.exe' => {
 >     'uid' => 0,
 >     'mtime' => 0,
 >     'mode' => 0,
 >     'size' => 0,
 >     'sizeDiv4GB' => 0,
 >     'type' => 10,
 >     'gid' => 0,
 >     'sizeMod4GB' => 0
 >   },
 >   'KB920213.log' => {
 >     'uid' => 0,
 >     'mtime' => 0,
 >     'mode' => 0,
 >     'size' => 0,
 >     'sizeDiv4GB' => 0,
 >     'type' => 10,
 >     'gid' => 0,
 >     'sizeMod4GB' => 0
 > },
 >
 > The files that were showing up correctly had attributes listed in the attrib
 > file that seemed normal.
 > Has anyone else seen this problem?  Would this be caused by BackupPC_dump,
 > or is there something else I should investigate?
 >
 > Thanks,
 >
 > Shawn Austin
This is not a bug but a feature!
It's exactly correct.
The type=10 key signals that the file has been deleted and all the other
attribute keys are set to zero since they have no meaning.

If you didn't have such a "blocking" entry, then previous versions of
the file would show through, since files otherwise inherit the
visibility of previous incremental backups.