BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Questions about compression in BackupPC

2008-11-05 17:49:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Questions about compression in BackupPC
From: Chris Robertson <crobertson AT gci DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 13:46:55 -0900
John Goerzen wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I installed BackupPC to try it out for backing up Linux systems, and I
> have a few questions about it.
>
> First, the on-disk compression format makes me nervous.  It appears to
> use the deflate algorithm, but cannot be unpacked with either gzip or
> unzip.  It would seem that the few bytes that adding a gzip header
> means would be well worth it, since it would buy the ability to
> extract it without using specialized tools.  It also makes me nervous
> because it isn't a completely off-the-shelf implementation, and
> doesn't appear to store a CRC in the file; is there integrity checking
> anywhere?

http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#compressed_file_format

and

http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#backuppc_operation

> Secondly, I would love to be able to use bzip2 for the on-disk
> compression of each backup.  It appears that bzip2 can be used for
> archives, but not the regular backups.  Is this in the works anywhere?
>
> Third, I'm wondering how well BackupPC deals with sparse files.  I
> notice that the examples for tar are not giving -S to detect sparse
> files.  Does BackupPC store sparse files efficiently, even if not
> using compression?  On restoration, what will it do with sparse files
> -- will it re-create the holes?

See
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#how_to_backup_a_client.
Specifically "$Conf{TarClientCmd}" or "$Conf{RsyncClientCmd}".  Adjust
the tar (or rsync) command to your preference.

> Thanks,
>
> -- John

Chris