BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC vs. Bacula

2008-08-12 08:47:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC vs. Bacula
From: Maarten te Paske <maarten AT tepaske DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:46:52 +0200
On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 07:38:03AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Maarten te Paske wrote:
>
> > I do not really consider this an advantage. Either way you have to
> > install and configure a client: rsync or bacula-fd.
>
> Most unix-like systems already have sshd, rsync and tar installed and
> windows can use the admin file shares for clientless backup.

Even if you have rsync installed (which I don't install by default on
any server installation) you need client side configuration. At least, I
do the following on each BackupPC client:

- Create a local user that can run rsync via sudo
- Restrict the commands that can be run to 'sudo rsync' in the
  authorized_keys file.
- Restrict SSH connections to the hostname of the BackupPC server in the
  authorized_keys file.

So my point is, with both solutions it requires some work. Unless you
use "admin file shares for clientless backup", but I'm not quite sure
what you mean with that.

Maarten