BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC vs. Bacula

2008-08-12 07:04:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC vs. Bacula
From: Maarten te Paske <maarten AT tepaske DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 13:04:23 +0200
On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 08:43:30PM +0200, Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) wrote:

> Arch Willingham wrote:
>
> > I have been looking at (and installed) both packages. I have tried
> > to find a comparison of the advantages and disadvantages of each as
> > compared to the other but found nothing very informative. Any ideas-
> > thoughts from anyone out there?
>

> - BackupPC is more geared towards backing up to hard drives, Bacula is
> more geared towards backing up to tape.

I definitely agree with this. At my current job we have two Bacula
servers running: one is tape-based (for piles of more or less static
data) and one is disk-based (for more dynamic/volatile data). Ofcourse
both work in the same manner, but the disk-based system doesn't have the
advantage of using hardlinks to safe storage.

> - Bacula uses a Bacula agent on each host you backup, BackupPC uses
> stock rsync(d)/tar/smbclient on the hosts you backup.

I do not really consider this an advantage. Either way you have to
install and configure a client: rsync or bacula-fd.

> - BackupPC has a nice web interface that makes it very easy to restore
> files.

That's true. Bacula requires the administrator to restore data.

I consider Bacula a very mature backup solution, but it has a different
target audience.

Maarten