BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to backup External Hard Drives

2008-08-09 20:25:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to backup External Hard Drives
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: naigy <craigblack AT exemail.com DOT au>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 02:24:34 +0200
Hi,

naigy wrote on 2008-08-09 17:59:22 -0400 [[BackupPC-users]  How to backup
External Hard Drives]:

> [...] I seem to think it had something to do with setting the clientalias.
> Below is my scenario
>
> [...]
> - I have 5 external hard drives which occasionally get connected to only one
>   of these 4 PC's.
> - I would like to have these 5 extra drives (some with multiple partitions)
>   backed up through BackupPC.
>
> I realise this would be a manual backup as otherwise BackupPC would more
> than likely not be able to tell when or which drive was connected. [...]

that sounds rather easy. For each drive, define a host in BackupPC (the name
corresponds to the disk, choose anything that suits you, eg. disk1 ... disk5).
Set $Conf{ClientNameAlias} to the real hostname of the machine the
corresponding disk will be connected to (all identical in your case).
Otherwise configure the backup just as you would normally (i.e. back up the
mountpoints where the partitions will be mounted on the client host, or rather
anything under there you want backed up, apply any excludes etc.). Remember
that the backup concerns the disk, not the host, so don't put any of the
host's file system (eg. /etc) in *this* backup. If you want it as a manual
backup, set $Conf{BackupsDisable} to 1.

If you need to do any preparation, such as mount the partitions, you can do
that via $Conf{DumpPreUserCmd}.

If you've got a way to tell the drives apart (you do), you *can* automate it
(well, presuming the drives will be connected during your normal backup
window). You would need to do some scripting and use $Conf{PingCmd} to
determine whether the disks are online, but there's no reason it can't be
done. Err, we were talking about PCs running a UNIX variant, weren't we? :)

Regards,
Holger