BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Just to make sure: How to move/copy /var/lib/backuppc to another place (RAID1)

2008-08-07 11:05:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Just to make sure: How to move/copy /var/lib/backuppc to another place (RAID1)
From: "Jon Craig" <cannedspam.cant AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Kurt Tunkko" <kurt.tunko AT web DOT de>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 11:04:58 -0400
The advantages of dump over dd is that
1)  dump only copies actual data, dd copies empty space (full silver of image)
2)  dump will defrag on restore, dd carries fragmentation over
3)  dump allows different sized source/destination as long as the
destination has enough room for actual content, dd will allow
destinations larger than source but requires other tools to resize
resultant filesystem

Big advantage of dd is that it is fileystem type agnostic while dump
only works on ext2/3.

Here is a command to copy a filesystem.  It assumes you have a source
filesystem at /var/lib/backuppc and a destination filesystem (newly
created) at /mnt:

dump -0 -f - /var/lib/backuppc | (cd /mnt; restore -r -f - )

I've used this on Solaris, but havent tested it under Linux.  You may
want to setup a test case and validate prior to trying something as
large and complex as bacukppc.  If /var/lib/backuppc is part of the
root filesystem and you are trying to separate it you will need to
change the '/var/lib/backuppc' to '/' and then cleanup the /mnt by:

cd /mnt
rm -r [everything except var]
cd /mnt/var/lib/backuppc
mv * /mnt
cd /mnt
rm -r var

On 8/7/08, Kurt Tunkko <kurt.tunko AT web DOT de> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  Rich Rauenzahn wrote:
>
>  > Yet another option often overlooked is using 'dump' instead of dd.
>

> could you give the correct syntax in order to copy /var/lib/backuppc
>  using dump.
>

>  - Kurt

Jonathan Craig