BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Just to make sure: How to move/copy /var/lib/backuppc to another place (RAID1)

2008-08-05 14:22:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Just to make sure: How to move/copy /var/lib/backuppc to another place (RAID1)
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Kurt Tunkko <kurt.tunko AT web DOT de>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 20:21:30 +0200
Hi,

Adam Goryachev wrote on 2008-08-06 01:28:21 +1000 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Just to
make sure: How to move/copy /var/lib/backuppc to another place (RAID1)]:
> Kurt Tunkko wrote:
> > Other options:
> >
> > 1) Using dd and copy the old harddrive to the new one.

as Adam pointed out, block device is block device. There is no reason not to
do this.

> > 2) Using LVM and append the RAID to the LVM-Volume - this sounds like a
> > good solution, but I just want to have /var/lib/backuppc on the RAID, no
> > other files.

Actually, you can get what you want along this path too.

- vgextend your VG to include the RAID device
- pvmove your backup LV off the current disk onto the RAID device
- vgsplit your backup LV out of the current VG into a new one.

The benefit is that you can - in theory - do all of this without stopping
BackupPC and unmounting the file system, even during running backups. It
probably wouldn't be good for performance, so you'd preferably choose a
period of time when BackupPC is idle :).

If you're familiar with LVM (and want to keep your pool file system in a LV
as opposed to on the RAID with no LVM in between), this gives you slightly
more protection against user errors. 'dd' won't complain if you accidentally
swap source and destination device, with LVM this can't really happen. If you
lose power during the copy operation (pvmove), LVM should be able to resume
where it was interrupted.

On the other hand, the 'dd' approach is simpler, and you get to keep a working
backup of your pool.

If in doubt, stick with 'dd'.

> I hope someone works out a way to add the above to the wiki,

I agree with that part :) ["the above" referring to Adam's message].

> in a more meaningful/less wordy way.

There was nothing wrong with your explanation. I'd prefer correct content
over well-written content in the wiki any day - not meaning to imply yours
was not well-written.

Regards,
Holger