BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Split share into several shares

2008-06-06 21:55:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Split share into several shares
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Hendrik Friedel" <hen_mail AT web DOT de>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 19:55:13 -0600
I actually do this on my tru64 unix and my sco unix machines.  This works quite well.  It also uses up way less RAM with rsync, which is good because some of the tru64 machines don't have a lot of extra RAM.

I have one specific tru64 alpha 4cpu machine that I have 4 hosts setup for and I trigger all 4 hosts for backup at the same time with cron as they are 1Ghz cpus and I can peg all 4 and complete backupps much quicker as my scsi disk array is much much faster that the cpus can handle.  I have one backup the / with exclusions for each directory I will backup with one of the other backups, then the other machines are backing up all the other directories.  I just did some guess work on how to split it up efficiently by comparing file count and then filesize.  This works very well and I can get an incremental backup done in about 20 minutes and a full in under an hour.  its about 12GB worth of data, but an alpha es45 is not exactly the fastest machine around these days.  I also dont have many files that change, maybe 100, but a few of them are 1GB+ each day.