BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Split share into several shares

2008-06-11 04:53:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Split share into several shares
From: Kurt Tunkko <kurt.tunko AT web DOT de>
To: 'BackupPC User List' <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:53:35 +0200
Hello Hendrik,

Hendrik Friedel wrote:

>  [...] My last incremental took nearly 280 minutes for about 600 MB.
>  This is over a 54 Mbit Wlan connection. But even over this connection
>  600MB are transferable in a fraction of 280 minutes...

I had a similar problem when backing up Windows-Clients to my
BackupPC-Server. Transfer speed was very (no I mean verrrry) slow.
I've tried rsync over SSH (very slow with cygwin), I tried Samba (had
problems with user-rights and you can not use exclude and includes at
the same time) and now I'm using rsyncd and everything seems fine:

Looking at my logs I can see, that one of my Windows 2000 Clients that
is connected via 54Mbit Wifi has been backed up in 59 minutes for 2356 MB.
My backup-server is a Pentium-III running Ubuntu Server - so no
supercomputing-power :-)

If you need 280min for 600MB there must be something wrong.

What Operating System is the client-pc running? Are you using rsync or
rsyncd? Rsyncd performs much better compared to rsync over SSH with cygwin.

I'm recently writing a howto 'Backup Windows Clients with (cygwin)
rsyncd and BackupPC', and I would be glad to hear feedback.

Best regards from Berlin

=/ Kurt