BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Question about "link pending".

2008-06-03 05:52:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Question about "link pending".
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 11:52:28 +0200
On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 07:52:22PM -0500, Bruno Faria wrote:

> * Using the term job loosely here, as I personally have
> > $Conf{MaxBackupPCNightlyJobs} = 8.
>
> Is backuppc nightly jobs heavy on RAM?

Not so much.

> I would like to increase the amount of BackupPC nightly jobs, but right now
> all of my RAM and most of my swap is being used by BackupPC_Dump.

First check the I/O load of your system (e.g. using iostat). The nightly
job is heavy on I/O and doesn't need a lot of CPU. If your I/O system is
saturated, you'll gain almost nothing by running nightly jobs in
parallel - you might actually slow down the dumps considerably.

Tino.

--
"What we resist, persists." (Zen saying)

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de