BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync to Windows client very slow (Was: Re:How to BackupFilesExclude to exclude locked files on Windows XP)

2008-05-26 01:44:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync to Windows client very slow (Was: Re:How to BackupFilesExclude to exclude locked files on Windows XP)
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Kurt Jasper" <kurt.jasper AT googlemail DOT com>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 23:44:15 -0600
archive bit = evil.  the archive bit is actually satan's unkle on his mother's side.

anyway,

I don't know if there is a solution to the combination of I/O bottlenecks and file checksumming with rsync taking a log time.

Rsync v3 does greatly(samba's words) improve memory usage and file list transfer time, as well as allowing transfers to begin before the full file list is tranfered.  hardlink transfers are also much faster in v3.

Other nice features are support for extended attributes and acls with rsync v3.

Anyone know if rsync3 can but used with backuppc?  is it's syntax different enough that backuppc would need modified to run with it?

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 3:20 PM, Kurt Jasper <kurt.jasper AT googlemail DOT com> wrote:
Hendrik Friedel wrote:

>>It would be nice to be able to use WindowsXP+'s index as a reference or
>> have the rsyncd on the windows machine maintain all the checksum
>> information but I know of no way and no plans to do this.
>
> Another option would be the archive bit, wouldn't it?

Read: The Windows archive bit is evil and must be stopped
http://www.tunexp.com/news/windows-story-669.html

"I have a major problem with the Windows archive bit, and so should you.
At the very least, backup product vendors should give us the option of
not using it — without penalty. Here's why: If the "ready for archiving"
bit is set on a file in Windows, it indicates that a file is new or
changed, and that it should be backed up in an incremental backup. Once
this happens, the archive bit is cleared. Therefore, the first problem
with the archive bit is that it should be called the backup bit, because
backups are not archives.

The biggest problem with the archive bit, however, is that the process
assumes that only one application will clear the archive bit, when there
could actually be several of them."

- Kurt