BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup of client never completes

2008-05-21 20:09:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup of client never completes
From: Martin Leben <ml060223 AT leben DOT nu>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 02:08:23 +0200
James wrote:
> Hm, this could explain it then. With the prior conditions, I could see
> the time to do a full backup pushing the limits of a normal work day.
> Especially if the user, say, takes the laptop to lunch or class
> (professor). Perhaps I'll cut his $HOME up into several virtual
> servers of a manageable size in backuppc. Considering that it would
> take approximately 5 to 6 hours+ under ideal conditions simply to
> transfer the data to my server, I have no doubt that the shear size of
> the data is the root of the problem.

Hi James,

You still hasn't told us which transfer method you use. But if you use rsync I
would recommend you to convince the professor to leave the computer connected
overnight. It should suffice to do this just one time, because once you have
all
the data on the server only diffs are transferred (plus some checksums) when
using rsync.

Best regards,
/Martin Leben