BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup of client never completes

2008-05-21 18:36:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup of client never completes
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 00:36:16 +0200
On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 02:38:10PM -0700, James wrote:
> I have a laptop client with 200gb of data to back up. The backup
> always ends with a:
>
> > Got fatal error during xfer (aborted by signal=PIPE)
> > Backup aborted by user signal
>
> This is not surprising. The abort happens when the user closes his
> laptop or unplugs from my network. What is surprising is that the
> backup *never* completes. It is my understanding that BackupPC will
> begin backing up a partial from the last file that was not backed up.
> Thus, even if a backup cannot complete in one day, or two, or three
> attempts it will gradually fill the partial and complete a backup.
>
> This situation has been going on for months and a complete backup has
> not been made yet. To give an idea of transfer rates on my network,
> the 200gb could be directly transferred to the server in about 4 hours.

How many files make up the 200Gb? How is the load on the server and the
laptop? The rsync algorithm (do you use rsync?) needs quite some CPU.
BackupPC in fact doesn't "resume" the backup in the sense that it
continues where it left off, it just uses the partial as a base and will
still compare files. It still needs to skim through all files on client
and server, possibly transferring differences and new files.

Tino.

--
"What we resist, persists." (Zen saying)

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de