BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup of client never completes

2008-05-21 18:55:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup of client never completes
From: James <jameskyle AT ucla DOT edu>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 15:55:32 -0700
> How many files make up the 200Gb? How is the load on the server and
> the
> laptop?
The file count is going to be quite high.

> The rsync algorithm (do you use rsync?) needs quite some CPU.
> Rsync over an ssh tunnel. It does take a bit of CPU time, but it
> doesn't tax the server badly.

> BackupPC in fact doesn't "resume" the backup in the sense that it
> continues where it left off, it just uses the partial as a base and
> will
> still compare files. It still needs to skim through all files on
> client
> and server, possibly transferring differences and new files.

Hm, this could explain it then. With the prior conditions, I could see
the time to do a full backup pushing the limits of a normal work day.
Especially if the user, say, takes the laptop to lunch or class
(professor). Perhaps I'll cut his $HOME up into several virtual
servers of a manageable size in backuppc. Considering that it would
take approximately 5 to 6 hours+ under ideal conditions simply to
transfer the data to my server, I have no doubt that the shear size of
the data is the root of the problem.

> What OS?  I've never been able to make windows rsync work under sshd.

Currently OSX Tiger.

Thank you both for the speedy response, my apologies for not being a
bit more detailed in my post.

-james

Tino.