BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Enhancement Request ..... template configuration for user settings

2008-05-19 14:17:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Enhancement Request ..... template configuration for user settings
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 13:16:27 -0500
Craig Barratt wrote:

>> It would be great if the BackupPC Admin interface gave the ability to
>> create a template and then when you create a new host, simply apply that
>> template.
>
> Part of this feature is already available.  When you create a host
> you can first select the "Add" button.  You then set the new host
> as "NEWHOST=COPYHOST".  This creates NEWHOST and copies the config
> from COPYHOST.
>
> You could create dummy hosts for each machine type (with backups disabled)
> or just use a live machine as the COPYHOST.
>
>> Taking it a step further......when you select a template, before it
>> applies it prompts you with a list of those changes in the template,
>> giving you the ability to override or exclude some or all of the
>> template settings.
>
> This isn't implemented currently and would take quite a bit of effort.
> It's probably not much faster looking through a list of which settings
> you want to accept from the template, versus just looking at the
> settings themselves.

One thing that might not be too hard would be to add an assortment of
typical host configurations that could be used as templates.  If the
routine that copies an existing host config doesn't care if the name
exists in the hosts file, that might just work as-is.  If these had
names that were descriptive for the xfer method and unlikely as real
hostnames they would work as templates and probably save some time
getting started with mixed targets.  The only thing I'd be concerned
about would be having a default share setting that users might
incorrectly assume to be right for them.