BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Enhancement Request ..... template configuration for user settings

2008-05-19 09:40:29
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Enhancement Request ..... template configuration for user settings
From: Les Stott <les AT cyberpro.com DOT au>
To: BackupPC Users <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 23:38:46 +1000
Hi,

It would be great if the BackupPC Admin interface gave the ability to
create a template and then when you create a new host, simply apply that
template.

Lets say you have 50+ pc's to backup, 20 Vista (heaven forbid! ;} )and
30 XP. lets say we are using rsyncd to backup and we want just the user
profile directories. Ofcourse in XP thats c:\Documents and Settings, in
Vista its C:\Users. The Excludes and Includes would also be different
especially with Vista's junction points.

Now wouldn't it be great to create an XP template and a Vista template
via the CGI. Then when you add a host you could tick "apply a template"
and choose appropriately. Saves you a bit of time.

Taking it a step further......when you select a template, before it
applies it prompts you with a list of those changes in the template,
giving you the ability to override or exclude some or all of the
template settings.

Not sure how hard that would be to implement.

Ofcourse you could do it on command line, but if it was in the cgi
editior it would be fantastic!

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Les