BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_zipCreate created huge zip that cannot be read

2008-05-14 13:41:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_zipCreate created huge zip that cannot be read
From: Ronnie Gilkey <ronnie AT puryear-it DOT com>
To: Eduardo Trápani <eduardo AT esperanto.org DOT uy>, backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 12:29:02 -0500
Eduardo Trápani wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I created a zip file from a backup, right before it was overwritten by a much
> smaller full backup.  The zip file is about 6G and I have not found a zip
> program that will open it (I tried, jar, 7zip, unzip ...).  I get errors, as
> if it were corrupted, but then, with some tools, I get to see some of the
> entries.  I'm running under Linux.
>
> I guess the huge size has something to do with it, but I'm stuck and I cannot
> recover the files, that I do not longer have.
>
> Any ideas on how to move on?
>
> Thanks, Eduardo.

Eduardo,

I use a program called IZArc (http://www.izarc.org/).  It works with
large archives, but can be painfully slow (depending on the host
system).  I have never tried it on an archive larger than 3 GB though.
Hope that helps.

Ronnie Gilkey
ronnie AT puryear-it DOT com

--
Puryear Information Technology, LLC
Baton Rouge, LA * 225-706-8414

Visit http://www.puryear-it.com/publications.htm to download your free
copies of:

 "Best Practices for Managing Linux and UNIX Servers"
 "Spam Fighting and Email Security in the 21st Century"