BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] ping too slow (using ssh over internet)

2008-05-13 07:11:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] ping too slow (using ssh over internet)
From: <romain.pichard AT valeo DOT com>
To: kurt.jasper AT googlemail DOT com
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 13:10:49 +0200
Ok, thanks a lot for your answer.
I'll try it this afternoon.
I had to check this file.  ;-)

Thanks again.
Have a nice day.

Romain

             Kurt Jasper
             <kurt.jasper@goog
             lemail.com>                                                 A
                                       Romain
             13/05/2008 10:18          PICHARD/Mondeville/VIC/VALEO@VALEO,
                                       BackupPC User List
                                       <[email protected]
                                       et>
                                                                        cc

                                                                     Objet
                                       Re: [BackupPC-users]  ping too slow
                                       (using ssh over internet)

Hello Romain,

romain.pichard AT valeo DOT com wrote:
> My problem is :
> " pas de ping (ping too slow: 31.42msec (threshold is 20msec)) "
> Is it necessary to have a ping under 20msec ? Is it possible to change it
?
> What are the consequences (the time of backups I think) ?
> How is it possible to solve this issue ?

It is not necessary to have a ping response under 20msec and when you
connect to your backuppc-server via a tunnel through the internet you
will not get this response times :-)

In order to change the time after a ping is called "to slow" you can
edit the /etc/backuppc/config.pl

$Conf{PingMaxMsec} = 200;

Maximum round-trip ping time in milliseconds. This threshold is set to
avoid backing up PCs that are remotely connected through WAN or dialup
connections. The output from ping -s (assuming it is supported on your
system) is used to check the round-trip packet time. On your local LAN
round-trip times should be much less than 20msec. On most WAN or dialup
connections the round-trip time will be typically more than 20msec. Tune
if necessary.

Taken from the BackupPC Documentation at:
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html

Best regards from Berlin

- Kurt Jasper

SC2N -S.A  Siège Social : 2, Rue Andre Boulle - 94000 Créteil  - 327 153
722 RCS Créteil

"This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the intended
recipient(s).
The information contained therein may be confidential or privileged, and
its disclosure or reproduction is strictly prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please return it immediately to its
sender at the above address and destroy it."