BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] ping too slow (using ssh over internet)

2008-05-13 04:25:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] ping too slow (using ssh over internet)
From: Kurt Jasper <kurt.jasper AT googlemail DOT com>
To: romain.pichard AT valeo DOT com, BackupPC User List <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 10:18:40 +0200
Hello Romain,

romain.pichard AT valeo DOT com wrote:
> My problem is :
> " pas de ping (ping too slow: 31.42msec (threshold is 20msec)) "
> Is it necessary to have a ping under 20msec ? Is it possible to change it ?
> What are the consequences (the time of backups I think) ?
> How is it possible to solve this issue ?

It is not necessary to have a ping response under 20msec and when you
connect to your backuppc-server via a tunnel through the internet you
will not get this response times :-)

In order to change the time after a ping is called "to slow" you can
edit the /etc/backuppc/config.pl

$Conf{PingMaxMsec} = 200;

Maximum round-trip ping time in milliseconds. This threshold is set to
avoid backing up PCs that are remotely connected through WAN or dialup
connections. The output from ping -s (assuming it is supported on your
system) is used to check the round-trip packet time. On your local LAN
round-trip times should be much less than 20msec. On most WAN or dialup
connections the round-trip time will be typically more than 20msec. Tune
if necessary.

Taken from the BackupPC Documentation at:
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html

Best regards from Berlin

- Kurt Jasper