BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Help Backing Up a WindowsXP Client over OpenVPN with rsyncd

2008-05-12 18:29:07
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Help Backing Up a WindowsXP Client over OpenVPN with rsyncd
From: Kurt Jasper <kurt.jasper AT googlemail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 00:27:06 +0200
Hi,

I'm still struggling to enable backuppc to backup on of my windows xp
notebooks (Roadwarrior).

After my request a few days ago, I followed the tips mentioned there and
    installed OpenVPN on the IPCop Firewall in order to have a secure
connection from the Notebook (called x31) to the Backup Server (called
ubuntu).
Installation of OpenVPN was really easy - thanks for the hint - goodbye
hamachi :-)

I can ssh from x31 (notebook) to the server (ubuntu) using its local IP
because of OpenVPN.

What I want:
To backup the Windows XP Notebook via OpenVPN using rsyncd.

Unfortunately I never got rsync working (using cygwin) and browsing the
web, it seems that rsyncd is the preferred method.
But before I try to get Rsyncd working I would like to check if
everything else is working and use the Samba-approach.

Problem: The notebook can not be found from the server.

Notebooks IP is: 10.128.2.10 and I've added a line to /etc/hosts:

        10.128.2.10     x31

~$ ping x31
PING x31 (10.128.2.10) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from x31 (10.128.2.10): icmp_seq=1 ttl=127 time=85.6 ms

Pinging x31 from the server is working, so there is a connection, but
when trying to use nmblookup the notebook can not be found.

I tried both
# nmblookup x31
# nmblookup -B 10.128.2.255 x31

both commands retur: name_query failed to find name x31

Question:

Can someone give me some more information about how to get this done?

I've read the backuppc-manual but I think a complete walkthrough
covering the task: 'Backup from Windows over a VPN using rsyncd' would
be really great - and I'm willing to write this but before that, I need
to know how to setup rsyncd and why my notebook can be pinged but
nmblookup return an error.

Any help would be great and thanks for the hint to use OpenVPN, great
piece of software (like backuppc (of course))

kind regards

Kurt Jasper