BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] howto configure rsyncd

2008-05-11 18:40:34
Subject: [BackupPC-users] howto configure rsyncd
From: Matthias Meyer <Matthias.Meyer AT gmx DOT li>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 00:38:07 +0200
Hello,

I get my backups since a long time wit backuppc/tar.
Now I want to switch to rsync.
I've install rsync onto the backup-Client and configure it to run in
daemon-mode.
I create a also the:
root:/home/Meyer# cat /etc/rsyncd.conf
motd file = /etc/motd
max connections = 5
syslog facility = local3

[BackupPC]
        comment = Backup area
        path = /
        read only = yes
        list = yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/24 127.0.0.0/8
        hosts deny = 192.168.0.254
        uid = nobody
        gid = nogroup

I install rsync on backup-server to and configure backuppc to use rsyncd
instead of tar. I set the RsyncShareName to "BackupPC" and disable the
flag "RsyncdAuthRequired".
As before with tar, BackupFilesOnly contains "/", "/home" and "/boot". This
are the three partitions on which my workstation run.

Than I run a full backup.

1. The backup do contain only the directories /boot and /home. The whole
partition which contains "/" is missing.
2. If I select Browse backups I only can see the backups made by rsync. The
backups made with tar I only will see in the workstation home view.

Thanks in advance for any hint
Matthias
--
Don't Panic