BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] howto configure rsyncd

2008-05-17 06:22:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] howto configure rsyncd
From: Matthias Meyer <Matthias.Meyer AT gmx DOT li>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 12:22:07 +0200
Am Montag 12 Mai 2008 schrieb Matthias Meyer:
> Hello,
>
> I get my backups since a long time wit backuppc/tar.
> Now I want to switch to rsync.
> I've install rsync onto the backup-Client and configure it to run in
> daemon-mode.
> I create a also the:
> root:/home/Meyer# cat /etc/rsyncd.conf
> motd file = /etc/motd
> max connections = 5
> syslog facility = local3
>
> [BackupPC]
>         comment = Backup area
>         path = /
>         read only = yes
>         list = yes
>         hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/24 127.0.0.0/8
>         hosts deny = 192.168.0.254
>         uid = nobody
>         gid = nogroup
>
> I install rsync on backup-server to and configure backuppc to use rsyncd
> instead of tar. I set the RsyncShareName to "BackupPC" and disable the
> flag "RsyncdAuthRequired".
> As before with tar, BackupFilesOnly contains "/", "/home" and "/boot".
> This are the three partitions on which my workstation run.
>
> Than I run a full backup.
>
> 1. The backup do contain only the directories /boot and /home. The whole
> partition which contains "/" is missing.
> 2. If I select Browse backups I only can see the backups made by rsync.
> The backups made with tar I only will see in the workstation home view.
>
> Thanks in advance for any hint
> Matthias
> --
> Don't Panic

It's easy ;-) with rsync instead of rsyncd.
I should not specify $Conf{BackupFilesOnly}.
I have to specify each directory/partition which should included into the
backup in $Conf{RsyncShareName}
I add --one-file-system to the defaults in $Conf{RsyncArgs}
If you have trouble like "unexpected repeated share name / skipped" be sure
that "/" is the first in RsyncShareName.

and last but not least: We do not need rsyncd.

Maybee it will work with other configurations too. At least I have some
troubles and that is my configuration now and it will work for me.

Matthias
--
Don't Panic