BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc user privileges

2008-04-29 23:57:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc user privileges
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 21:56:42 -0600
add backuppc to a more privileged group and setup sudo so that you can run some very specific Backuppc_* commands without a password.  Also, remove the password for the user backuppc in the CGI interface and config some other user to have access to all so that the CGI can't be exploited to run commands as the backuppc use(easily anyway).

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 1:25 PM, Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de> wrote:
Hi Maudro,

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 08:11:39PM +0200, Mauro Condarelli wrote:

> this question should be beaten to death by now, but I'm unable to find a
> solution (shame on me!).
>
> I have an ubuntu/linux server with attached storage where I installed
> BackupPC via apt.
>
> I used the default "backuppc" unprivileged user.
>
> I need to backup some remote shares and this works Ok using either smb
> or rsync (depending on the O.S. of the remote machine).
>
> I also need to backup some directories that are on the local machine and
> I used 'tar', but this does not work because some parts of the things I
> need to backup are not world-readable. How should I set-up things so
> backuppc gets enough privileges to read whatever?

Either use a special sudo command or just use tar over ssh to backup
locally.

Bye,

Tino.

--
„What we resist, persists." (Zen saying)

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de