BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Howto backup a laptop (with a dynamic IP behind a firewall) via SSH-tunnel?

2008-04-29 23:52:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Howto backup a laptop (with a dynamic IP behind a firewall) via SSH-tunnel?
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 21:52:29 -0600
You could install cygwin/rsync on the windows machine and build a script to ssh to the backuppc server and make an alternate-port like 45000 rsyncd tunnel.  set the client config to backup localhost:45000 and have the remote client's rsyncd set to port 45000.  disable automatic backups in backuppc and set the windows scheduler to run the script.  You could also use putty but would still have to install an rsyncd server such as cygwin or deltacopy.

you would either need to use the Backuppc_dump so the tunnel stays connected or you would need to also run a `while [ps -ef|grep -e Backuppc_serverMsg -e $yourclientname]; then sleep 5; else exit; done` after the backup command so that the tunnel stays open until that backup is finnished or killed.  that would be a fairly elegant system except that the putty windows for the tunnel would be blank, unless you added some sort of message or add a `Backuppc_serverMsg status jobs`.  additionally, you could use puttyfile(putty that uses config files instead of the registry) to make a deployable package with NSIS installer.

only problem is that all Backuppc_* commands need to be run as user backuppc so you would need to adjust your sudo settings to all ONLY these programs to be run with sudo without a password.

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 2:40 AM, Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 09:01:05PM -0600, dan wrote:

> I am using a product called hamachi that builds a sort of VPN.  There is a
> version for windows and for linux.  the free version allows something like
> 10 users per private network.  they all get an IP address on this network
> and you can run backuppc over this link.  the IP address functions as static
> so you can hardcode it in the client config.  also, hamachi uses some sort
> of shortest link routing so it will perform at full speed on the local
> network but still be available over wifi in a hotel or at the users home on
> dsl or something.  works very well for me.  this is an almost zero-hassle
> solution that I have tested extensively.

Hamachi is proprietary stuff. I wouldn't like being dependent on their
central servers, proprietary client etc.

Better use OpenVPN and get that one OpenVPN port through the firewall.

Bye,

Tino.

--
„What we resist, persists." (Zen saying)

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de