BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Howto backup a laptop (with a dynamic IP behind a firewall) via SSH-tunnel?

2008-04-28 18:53:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Howto backup a laptop (with a dynamic IP behind a firewall) via SSH-tunnel?
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 00:53:01 +0200
On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:11:19AM +0200, kurt.jasper AT googlemail DOT com
wrote:

> since I'm new to this list a short hello to everyone. I'm working for a
> small ngo and became something like the backup guy, mainly because I know
> more than my co-workers :-/
>
> We have an ubuntu server, mainly for filesharing via samba and backups using
> backuppc. Our local pcs are backed up with backup pc, but now a coworker
> asked if I can also add his mobile laptop to the backup routine.
> The laptop user is accessing the ubuntu server via ssh-tunneling (Port 139
> for Samba) on windows xp sp2 and Cygwin
>
> Question:
> How can I backup a laptop to the backuppc-server via SSH? The Laptop has a
> dynamic IP and behind a firewall (roadwarrior).

I suppose, you need some kind of dynamic DNS setup so when the
SSH-tunnel is established, the dynamic IP get's registered in DNS and
BackupPC (and ssh) can resolv a fixed host name.

You might also consider setting up an OpenVPN - it should ease things a
lot (but I don't know about roadwarrior).

I'm not using such a setup though - we're only backing up servers. Data
stored on clients is considered lost.

Bye,

Tino.

--
„What we resist, persists.” (Zen saying)

www.craniosacralzentrum.de/blog/
www.forteego.de