BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] improving the deduplication ratio

2008-04-29 23:24:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] improving the deduplication ratio
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Kenneth Porter" <shiva AT sewingwitch DOT com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 21:24:31 -0600
WHS is a 'OK' as a backup server in a very small, windows only environment.  It can only backup 10 machines and can only backup machines that are running windows XP+.  Plus is has a major file corruption bug when under load! that microsoft has yet to patch since it's discovery oct07.

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 9:16 PM, Kenneth Porter <shiva AT sewingwitch DOT com> wrote:
--On Wednesday, April 09, 2008 4:32 PM +0200 Ludovic Drolez
<ldrolez AT debian DOT org> wrote:

> I've seen in some commercial backup systems with included
> deduplication (which often run under Linux :-), that files are split in
> 128k or 256k chunks prior to deduplication.

Just to name one: Windows Home Server (WHS). I was asking on one of the MS
newsgroups (Small Business Server) about what they use for backup, and many
were using WHS in small business environments precisely because of the high
degree of compression when backing up multiple workstations. When I went to
look at the WHS features it immediately reminded me of BPC, but with the
file chunking added.