BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] [BackupPC-devel] improving the deduplication ratio

2008-04-16 09:24:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] [BackupPC-devel] improving the deduplication ratio
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net, backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 15:23:43 +0200
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 02:52:34PM +0200, Ludovic Drolez wrote:

> > > And what about a mix of the two ?
> > > - keep hard links for files less than the chunk size (filenames begin
> > > with an 'f' as before)
> > > - for files bigger than the chunk size, create a regular file which
> > > contains references to the chunks in the cpool (the files could begin
> > > with an 'r' for example).
> >
> > The main problem is that you cannot tell anymore whether a file(chunk)
> > in the pool is still needed or not. You'd need to look into every backup
> > and check if there's still a reference to that chunk.
>
> then, instead of the 'r' file containing the references to the chunks,
> simply create a 'r' directory, which will contain hard links to the
> chunks, so that cpool chunks are still referenced as before !

While it would work (and I thought about that myself), I'm not keen on
having even more directories in the BackupPC file system. We're talking
about hundreds of thousands of *additional* files here, if the chunk
size is, say 64k. The File::Rsync stuff would need rewriting though (but
I'm no developer, I'm just guessing).

Tino.

--
„What we resist, persists.” (Zen saying)

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de