BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Where is the correct place to chage charset settings?

2008-04-24 02:28:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Where is the correct place to chage charset settings?
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Felix Andersen <felix AT nibbo DOT se>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 23:27:35 -0700
Felix writes:

> I've just started using backuppc. Great job people! However I am having
> some problems with charsets. My backuppc system deals with filenames
> saved with Swedish characters like Å Ä and Ö. When looking at the file
> names in the webgui a filename that should say "datakällor"
> says "datakällor" My question is where to change my settings to fix
> this.

Assuming you are running 3.x, there is this setting:

    #
    # Filename charset encoding on the client.  BackupPC uses utf8
    # on the server for filename encoding.  If this is empty, then
    # utf8 is assumed and client filenames will not be modified.  If set
    # to a different encoding then filenames will be re-encoded in utf8.
    # A typical WinXX encoding for latin1/western europe is 'cp1252'.
    # Do "perldoc Encode::Supported" to see the list of possible charset
    # values, and also see http://czyborra.com/charsets/iso8859.html.
    #
    $Conf{ClientCharset} = '';

With a default configuration, smbclient does the charset conversion for
you, so you should leave this empty (see the "unix charset" setting in
Samba's smb.conf).  If you use rsync or tar, there is no built-in charset
conversion and you should set $Conf{ClientCharset} to cp1252 or whatever
matches your local client's charset.

Craig