BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Scaling BackupPC

2008-04-10 10:58:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Scaling BackupPC
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 16:57:45 +0200
On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:48:33AM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:

> I know I'm coming into this thread way late, but I think this could be
> fairly easily managed using a master/slave setup (similar to what MythTV
> offers).  BackupPC could default to being a "master", but you could
> optionally set it as "slave" and then define its master.  The master
> handles all the scheduling, and the slaves just do what they're told by
> the master.  The slaves could be configured to save their files locally
> or to a centralized pool.  The master would keep track of where each
> file was located -- on one of the slaves, or one a centralized pool
> (possibly one of many).
>
> This would be a pretty slick setup.

Yes, but it would introduce a completely new layer into the software.
Currently, nobody tracks which files are on which server - they're all
on the local server in the pool.

Hm. A light-version would be to just have a master frontend. That is,
have multiple independent BackupPC servers and one central web
interface, which knows which host is on which server and only acts as
proxy and redirects requests to the appropiate server. Given
single-sign-on authentication, this could even be done with Apache and
mod_rewrite B-)

A deluxe version would accumulate pool statistics, host summaries etc.
This should be doable if the BackupPC server process would be exposed to
the network or there would be some kind of RPC-like remote interface
(maybe even via the CGI).

Bye,

Tino.

--
„Es gibt keinen Weg zum Frieden. Der Frieden ist der Weg.” (Mahatma Gandhi)

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de