BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Scaling BackupPC

2008-04-10 10:49:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Scaling BackupPC
From: Rob Owens <rob.owens AT biochemfluidics DOT com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:48:33 -0400
I know I'm coming into this thread way late, but I think this could be
fairly easily managed using a master/slave setup (similar to what MythTV
offers).  BackupPC could default to being a "master", but you could
optionally set it as "slave" and then define its master.  The master
handles all the scheduling, and the slaves just do what they're told by
the master.  The slaves could be configured to save their files locally
or to a centralized pool.  The master would keep track of where each
file was located -- on one of the slaves, or one a centralized pool
(possibly one of many).

This would be a pretty slick setup.

-Rob

Ski Kacoroski wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 17:14:48 -0500 "Timothy J. Massey"
> <tmassey AT modernmerchant DOT com> wrote:
>> backuppc-users-bounces AT lists.sourceforge DOT net wrote on 01/16/2008
>> 01:51:41 PM:
>>
>> Another way of doing it would be to have a way to replicate a backup
>> from one server to another, where backup data could be pushed or
>> pulled by the BackupPC processes on two different boxes without
>> actually doing a normal backup from two different servers.  Then I
>> can have two online, active BackupPC servers with the same data.
>>
>> I'd be willing to pay a bounty for this one, too.  An online way to
>> replicate backups between multiple BackupPC servers.
>>
>> Tim Massey
>
> Tim,
>
> I have actually done the replication for a smaller site where BackupPC
> is backing up about 10 machines so it is only running for a few hours a
> day.  When it is not running I have an rsync to a separate machine
> run.  The BackupPC instance on that machine can easily be used for
> restores and, if I turn it on, for backups.  I typically keep BackupPC
> on the second machine turned off as it is only used in case the first
> machine fails.  I am not if this will scale because of the hard links,
> but perhaps if I used DRDB I could get around that problem.
>
> cheers,
>
> ski

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.