BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Large file stalls backup

2008-04-10 10:20:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Large file stalls backup
From: David Birnbaum <davidb AT pins DOT net>
To: Adam Goryachev <adam AT websitemanagers.com DOT au>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:19:17 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Adam Goryachev wrote:

>> Does anyone have a workaround or fix for this?  Is it possible to change
>> BackupPC so it doesn't remove the in-progress file, but instead copies it
>> into
>> the pool so rsync will pick up where it left off last time?  There doesn't
>> seem
>> to be any downside to leaving off on the transfer where it was.
>
> It sounds like the only possible problem is that you may restore the
> file thinking it is the last successful backup of the file, but really
> it was only a partial copy of the file. Overall though, I think it is a
> great idea. Especially on a initial backup where you might have a number
> of large files being backed up that never succeed.

Well, if I have to choose between a partial file and no file, you know which
one
I'll pick!  The partial file might be enough to be a bacon-saver, whereas no
file will almost certainly not be.

> The only way I get around this is to massively increase the timeout
> value, and set a bwlimit for rsync, and then let it run over however
> many days it takes to complete the backup.

We've set it to 24 hours for some hosts, but to no avail.

> BTW, it would be *really* nice if when doing rsync backups we didn't
> need to transfer the entire file even though it already exists in the
> pool (ie, from a backup of another host).

Double-ditto - I thought the remote checksum thing would do this, but I guess
if
it's a new file, there's no way to know it's already in the pool without having
some sort of checksum hashing of the pool available.

David.