BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Large file stalls backup

2008-04-09 14:54:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Large file stalls backup
From: David Birnbaum <davidb AT pins DOT net>
To: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 13:23:10 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Les Mikesell wrote:

>> I've been using BackupPC for several years now, but one problem that I've
>> never come up with a good answer for is when a single large file is too big
>> to transfer completely in the time the backup can run before timing out.
>> For example, a 10M local datafile, backing up over a 768k upstream DSL,
>> ends up stalling the backup because it can never get past that file.
>
> Did you mean 10 gigs?  10M doesn't sound like it should be a problem.

Hehe...yes, meg, gig, they all start to blur together.

>> Does anyone have a workaround or fix for this?  Is it possible to change
>> BackupPC so it doesn't remove the in-progress file, but instead copies it
>> into the pool so rsync will pick up where it left off last time?  There
>> doesn't seem to be any downside to leaving off on the transfer where it
>> was.
>
> I usually try to get a full over a weekend where it doesn't matter if things
> run into the next day.  Things shouldn't just stop unless you have a network
> problem.

Unfortunately, since we don't necessarily control the client endpoint, that
this
is an issue.  Even when we try to run for a full day, you just can't transfer
that many bytes over a slow remote upstream.

>> There is one other problem related to this (and big backups in general) -
>> sometimes, there is enough delay that one of the rsync connections will
>> timeout due to the firewall not seeing activity on the socket.  Is there a
>> way to force some sort of traffic (a bogus keepalive) on the which socket
>> is idle to make sure it doesn't get prematurely severed?
>>
>> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> One approach is to use a VPN connection to the remote site.  Openvpn has an
> option to do keepalives on the line - and to do lzo compression on the data.

These files are often compressed already - for example, one client has very
large MP3 files that contain multi-hour recorded conferences.  Being able to
restart midstream would be a huge help.

David.