BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Large file stalls backup

2008-04-09 09:43:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Large file stalls backup
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: David Birnbaum <davidb AT pins DOT net>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 08:41:37 -0500
David Birnbaum wrote:

> I've been using BackupPC for several years now, but one problem that I've
> never
> come up with a good answer for is when a single large file is too big to
> transfer completely in the time the backup can run before timing out.  For
> example, a 10M local datafile, backing up over a 768k upstream DSL, ends up
> stalling the backup because it can never get past that file.

Did you mean 10 gigs?  10M doesn't sound like it should be a problem.

> Does anyone have a workaround or fix for this?  Is it possible to change
> BackupPC so it doesn't remove the in-progress file, but instead copies it
> into
> the pool so rsync will pick up where it left off last time?  There doesn't
> seem
> to be any downside to leaving off on the transfer where it was.

I usually try to get a full over a weekend where it doesn't matter if
things run into the next day.  Things shouldn't just stop unless you
have a network problem.

> There is one other problem related to this (and big backups in general) -
> sometimes, there is enough delay that one of the rsync connections will
> timeout
> due to the firewall not seeing activity on the socket.  Is there a way to
> force
> some sort of traffic (a bogus keepalive) on the which socket is idle to make
> sure it doesn't get prematurely severed?
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

One approach is to use a VPN connection to the remote site.  Openvpn has
an option to do keepalives on the line - and to do lzo compression on
the data.