BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Error: Unable to connect....

2008-04-07 17:06:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Error: Unable to connect....
From: Ashley Paul James <ashley.james AT uniserveteam DOT com>
To: "Tino Schwarze" <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:06:21 -0700
Tino,

Thanks for the quick reply.  While I was waiting, I played around with the server a little and saw two mount points for the NAS, so I stopped backuppc, unmounted everything remounted the NAS and the image, chown .shh in the /var/lib/backuppc to backuppc, restarted backuppc and tried running a backup for Host 2 (.20).  As it stands right now its still running and probably will for some time.
Will try on host 3 (.30) next. I recall deleting and recreating host one, I do recall the cmds you mentioned from awhile back.  I used them to confirm the ssh connection after I installed ssh keys.
I will play around with the cmds you mentioned and see where that gets me.

um..no not using rsync....yet.  :-). Always used tar from the start.  Will switch as soon as this backup completes.

Ashley

On 7-Apr-08, at 1:54 PM, Tino Schwarze wrote:

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 01:43:02PM -0700, Ashley Paul James wrote:

> Thanks for all the answers there, they all worked.  I wasnt getting my
> hopes up with BackupPC actually running after the changes, sure enough
> it didnt.
> However I can now see all the hosts via the GUI. However when I ran
> the backups I am back to receiving the 'Fatal' or 'aborted' errors on
> two of the hosts and the 3rd host errors out as it cannot ping, which
> is strange as you can ping the host. Havent come across the 'no ping
> response' before.
>
> This is occurring on two of the hosts...i recall this happening when I
> first setup Backup PC, but for the life of me its all blurry and cant
> remember.
> I did move the .ssh dir which for me is located in /var/lib/backuppc.
> There is no home directory called backuppc.

> (2008-04-07 13:41:58 Got fatal error during xfer (No files dumped for
> share /home/)
> 2008-04-07 13:42:03 Backup aborted (No files dumped for share /home/))

Let's go through this step by step.

1. What's your $Conf{RsyncClientCmd} set to?
2. Become user backuppc and try to run the ssh-part of that command. It
should look similar to this:
  ssh -q -x -l root host1
-> you should be logged into host1 without any prompt for password or
similar
3. try (still as user backuppc)
   ssh -q -x -l root host1 /bin/true
-> this command should output absolutely nothing and just return
4. try starting a full backup for host1

-> if anything fails, send the logfile for that host.

BTW: I suppose you're using the rsync over ssh method to backup your
hosts?

HTH,

Tino.

--
„Es gibt keinen Weg zum Frieden. Der Frieden ist der Weg.” (Mahatma Gandhi)

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de