BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Error: Unable to connect....

2008-04-07 16:00:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Error: Unable to connect....
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 22:00:36 +0200
Hi Ashley,

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 11:32:49AM -0700, Ashley Paul James wrote:

> I am running backupPC on a ESX VM using an attached (via switch) LaCie
> NAS drive mounted using SMB. Being  a low cost drive this does not
> support NFS or Hardlinks or much else really.

Uh-oh. Poor-man's SAN? ;-) This isn't going to scream, performance wise.

> The setup:
> OS:Ubuntu
> NAS mounted using smb
> 273gig backuppc.img file formatted as ext2 and mounted on /var/lib/
> backuppc (this is a 'work around')

You should use ext3 since you'd want to avoid fsck'ing that 273 gig over
the network as far as possible. Unmount, run tune2fs -j on the image,
then remount as ext3.

> The latest problem is what seems a very basic problem, Im am receiving
> the 'Error:Unable to connect to BackupPC server' on all my hosts when
> the .img file is mounted  as /var/lib/backuppc
> As soon as I unmount the backuppc.img file from /var/lib/backuppc
> everything works fine.

Ah, you need to stop backuppc, then mount, then start it again.

> These are my two mount points:
> //192.168.10.70/backuppc on /mnt/net-storage type smbfs (rw)
> /mnt/net-storage/backuppc.img on /var/lib/backuppc type ext2 (rw,loop=/
> dev/loop0)
>
> And this is what I am running to mount these.
> smbmount //192.168.10.70/backuppc /mnt/net-storage -o
> username=backuppc,password=backuppc,uid=backuppc,gid=backuppc
> mount -o loop /mnt/net-storage/backuppc.img /var/lib/backuppc

Looks good to me.

> I copied over the pc directory from the local /var/lib/backuppc
> directory thinking that BackupPC requires this directory, but this did
> not work.
> I noticed that when I create files on the *.img file it uses root so i
> tried to run 'mount -o loop /mnt/net-storage/backuppc.img /var/lib/
> backuppc'  using username/password=backuppc but this did not work.

ext3 (which is ext2 plus a journal) preserves the user id and file
permissions of files stored on it (the uid/gid option is a workaround
for Samba->Linux integration), there is no point in setting one at mount
time. You have to copy the pc directory with "cp -a" or "rsync -aH", if I
remember correctly, so all file permissions etc. are preserved.

> I feel so close to actually running  a backup. As I said earlier, one
> door shuts and another one opens.

You are very close. :-)

HTH,

Tino.

--
„Es gibt keinen Weg zum Frieden. Der Frieden ist der Weg.” (Mahatma Gandhi)

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de