Amanda-Users

Re: globbing

2009-09-22 16:57:30
Subject: Re: globbing
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 15:50:33 -0400
On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 03:23:51PM -0400, Brian Cuttler wrote:
> Jon,
>
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 02:44:50PM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 09:42:29AM -0400, Brian Cuttler wrote:
> > >
> > > Using amanda 2.6.1 on Solaris 10 (server x86, client Sparc)
> > >
> > > I currently have entries in the disklist like these, currently
> > > there are 55+ entries.
> > >
> > > finsen  /export/home/agaupel    zfs-snapshot
> > > finsen  /export/home/along      zfs-snapshot
> > > finsen  /export/home/amanda     zfs-snapshot
> > > finsen  /export/home/bhowland   zfs-snapshot
> > > finsen  /export/home/brainard   zfs-snapshot
> > > finsen  /export/home/cbryant    zfs-snapshot
> > > finsen  /export/home/cchen      zfs-snapshot
> > > finsen  /export/home/dkim       zfs-snapshot
> > > finsen  /export/home/dmuller    zfs-snapshot
> > >
> > > Each user directory is its own zfs mount point.
> > >
> > > Can I successfully replace them with entries like this ?
> > >
> > > I think this will do what I think it does, because I do it
> > > on other machines, but the zfs-snapshot is a new addition
> > > to this structure.
> > >
> > > finsen  /export/home-A /export/home  {
> > >         zfs-snapshot
> > >         include "./[a]*"
> > >         }
> > >
> > > finsen  /export/home-B /export/home  {
> > >         zfs-snapshot
> > >         include "./[b]*"
> > >         }
> > >
> > > I'm hoping to keep the mount points for the samba shares (20+)
> > > as separate DLEs, as they are far larger and will be far less
> > > numerous than user directories.
>

> > You might want to include a catch-all, something like below:
>
> So it will work ? I was afraid of what would happen if I tried
> to snapshot the directories that way, that are all unique mount
> points, not just subdirectories of /export/home.

Hopefully someone with more experience with zfs snapshots can
tell you.  It would certainly work without snapshots.  I'm
concerned that you might still be backing up the mounted,
active filesystems rather than the snapshots.

jl
 JG Computing
 12027 Creekbend Drive          (703) 787-0884
 Reston, VA  20194              (703) 787-0922 (fax)