Amanda-Users

Re: ZFS mount points

2009-08-27 18:05:19
Subject: Re: ZFS mount points
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 16:26:10 -0400

Brian Cuttler wrote:
Well, looks like we shot ourselves in the foot.

disklist - finsen  /export zfs-snapshot

[finsen] ~ 61> cd /exp*
[finsen]: /export > ls
home/  pax/  samba/  source/  testing/  zones/

Looks like it'll backup everything - however if you create
additional mountpoints...

[finsen]: /export > zfs list | more
NAME                                      USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
finsenp                                   136G   132G  28.4K  /finsenp
finsenp/export                            136G   132G  33.6G  /export
finsenp/export/home                      55.0G  73.0G  71.0K  /export/home
finsenp/export/home/agaupel              32.9K  9.97M  32.9K  /export/home/agaup
el
finsenp/export/home/amanda               33.1M  73.0G  33.1M  /export/home/amand
finsenp/export/home/bhowland             9.71G  73.0G  9.71G  /export/home/bhowl
and
finsenp/export/home/dkim                 32.9K  9.97M  32.9K  /export/home/dkim
it is as if the file systems are not subdirectories of one
another and you don't get backups of /export/home nor /export/home/<user>

Is this what other people on this list with ZFS are seeing ?

I recognize this as a ZFS side-effect and not an amanada issue.

But I'm now forced ot ask if there is an amanda solution, or for
that matter, as I migrate my users to this new system if amanda
will support in excess of 1000 DLEs in a single config/disklist.

Aside from Dustin's answer and howto for Amanda, . . .

You're creating user home directories with zfs create, rather than with mkdir? So each home directory ends up being a separate zfs file system? Thus, with the ability to apply zfs quotas and reservations? That sounds kind of complicated.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator