Amanda-Users

Re: ZFS mount points

2009-08-27 16:53:20
Subject: Re: ZFS mount points
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>, Daniel Muller <dmuller AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 16:36:50 -0400
On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 04:26:10PM -0400, Chris Hoogendyk wrote:

> Brian Cuttler wrote:
> >Well, looks like we shot ourselves in the foot.
> >
> >disklist - finsen  /export zfs-snapshot
> >
> >[finsen] ~ 61> cd /exp*
> >[finsen]: /export > ls
> >home/  pax/  samba/  source/  testing/  zones/
> >
> >Looks like it'll backup everything - however if you create
> >additional mountpoints...
> >
> >[finsen]: /export > zfs list | more
> >NAME                                      USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
> >finsenp                                   136G   132G  28.4K  /finsenp
> >finsenp/export                            136G   132G  33.6G  /export
> >finsenp/export/home                      55.0G  73.0G  71.0K  /export/home
> >finsenp/export/home/agaupel              32.9K  9.97M  32.9K
> >/export/home/agaup
> >el
> >finsenp/export/home/amanda               33.1M  73.0G  33.1M
> >/export/home/amand
> >finsenp/export/home/bhowland             9.71G  73.0G  9.71G
> >/export/home/bhowl
> >and
> >finsenp/export/home/dkim                 32.9K  9.97M  32.9K
> >/export/home/dkim
> >it is as if the file systems are not subdirectories of one
> >another and you don't get backups of /export/home nor /export/home/<user>
> >
> >Is this what other people on this list with ZFS are seeing ?
> >
> >I recognize this as a ZFS side-effect and not an amanada issue.
> >
> >But I'm now forced ot ask if there is an amanda solution, or for
> >that matter, as I migrate my users to this new system if amanda
> >will support in excess of 1000 DLEs in a single config/disklist.
>
> Aside from Dustin's answer and howto for Amanda, . . .
>
> You're creating user home directories with zfs create, rather than with
> mkdir? So each home directory ends up being a separate zfs file system?
> Thus, with the ability to apply zfs quotas and reservations? That sounds
> kind of complicated.

the idea of per user quotas was extreemly attractive, and it
_seemed_ like such a good idea when our ZFS manager proposed it...

Actually we have per user quotes on the current UFS file system,
which is ok for many of the users, but we have those few who say
things like
        - its easier to find stuff in my home directory, I don't
           want to bother with project directories on other drives.
        - Just create a few hundred gig of dead space, that way when
          you need space you have it reserved and can just delete
          something.

Things like NMR or scanning EM microscopes produce large data files...
we are just trying to keep the users from harming one another.

> --
> ---------------
>
> Chris Hoogendyk
>
> -
>   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
>  c/ /'_ --- Biology & Geology Departments
> (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center
> ~~~~~~~~~~ - University of Massachusetts, Amherst
>
> <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
>
> ---------------
>
> Erd�s 4

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.