Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda must be run as user amandabackup when using bsdtcp authentication

2009-05-19 20:30:49
Subject: Re: Amanda must be run as user amandabackup when using bsdtcp authentication
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 11:16:03 -0400
On Tuesday 19 May 2009, Abilio Carvalho wrote:
>the prefix with no argument is how the config.log interprets
>prefix='', which I did to install amanda in the default directories
>rather than inside a specific subdir. Again, like frank's attempt I
>have another machine with the same config options and that one works
>fine.

I'll take your word for that.  Thanks for the reply to clarify.  I would
assume that would equal default "/usr/local" if the option wasn't even used.
Since I build from tarballs here, running the lastest snapshot, I always spec
the dir by using the same build script that I've used for years.
----------------------------
#!/bin/sh
# since I'm always forgetting to su amanda...
if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
        echo
        echo "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
        echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the"
        echo "user amanda, but must be installed by user root."
        echo
        exit 1
fi
make clean
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
        --with-group=disk \
        --with-owner=amanda \
        --with-gnu-ld \
        --prefix=/usr/local \
        --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
        --with-tape-server=coyote \
        --with-bsdtcp-security --with-amandahosts \
        --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda \
        --with-config=Daily \
        --with-gnutar=/bin/tar
echo "sleeping 5 seconds for reading configures warnings"
echo "a make as amanda will continue after..."
sleep 5
make
  I recently wrapped that up in a new script that does it all with one
invocation, but the ./configure subscript stanza abover hasn't changed since
Feb 10th, when a drive failed and I had to reinstall F10 and recover.  I guess
amrecover didn't preserve the date. :(  However that script above hasn't been
edited for years.  I believe the last time was when I switched to bsdauth.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
You know, Callahan's is a peaceable bar, but if you ask that dog what his
favorite formatter is, and he says "roff! roff!", well, I'll just have to...