Amanda-Users

Re: support for tape library sun sl24 or sun sl48

2009-05-19 10:52:32
Subject: Re: support for tape library sun sl24 or sun sl48
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: Uwe Bartels <uwe.bartels AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 10:43:18 -0400
I use a lot of Sun equipment, but I haven't splurged on Sun tape drives (they haven't come up on the education deals for one thing). However, as you say, the tape drive itself is a standard lto4 from HP. The old internal DAT drives on some of my Sun servers are also standard HP.

You could use one of the tapetypes from the wiki, but I would be inclined (as Paul suggested) to run amtapetype. It will take a long time, but it will spit out a configuration specific to your server, and you will see how your server handles the tape drive. And, actually, it would take less time than this thread has been running. ;-)

Then compare your configuration to the published specifications for the drive (see, e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Tape-Open#Generations). Theoretically, you should get somewhere up around 120MB/s. If you end up with a speed down around 31MB/s as the one configuration someone posted on the wiki, then you probably need to evaluate your backup server, because it's not keeping up with the tape, and the tape is probably shoe-shining.

---------------

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center
<hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>

Erdös 4

Uwe Bartels wrote:
Hi,

does any has experiences with amanda and sun(storagetek) sl24 or better sl48 with 2 lto4 tape drives?
the tape drives are normal lto4 tape drive from HP.

Or can I simply take the configuration from the "Arcvault 48 - HP LTO4-800 tape"?

best regards,
Uwe

2009/5/18 Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com <mailto:Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>>