Amanda-Users

Re: support for tape library sun sl24 or sun sl48

2009-05-18 18:41:38
Subject: Re: support for tape library sun sl24 or sun sl48
From: Uwe Bartels <uwe.bartels AT gmail DOT com>
To: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 22:36:12 +0200

On 2009-05-18 16:28, Uwe Bartels wrote:
Hi,

does anybody know if the tape library sun(storagetek) sl24 or sun(storagetek) sl48 with 2 lto4 tape drives are working?

If so. how are the general parameters, which i'm missing in the "Tape Type List <http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Tapetype%20definitions> ".

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Tapetype_definitions#LTO4

Dell PowerVault LTO4-120 - LTO4-800 tape

define tapetype LTO4 {
  comment "Dell LTO4 800Gb - Compression Off"
  length 802816 mbytes
  filemark 0 kbytes
  speed 52616 kps
}

Arcvault 48 - HP LTO4-800 tape

define tapetype HPLTO4 {
  comment "HP LTO4 800gb - Compression Off"
  length 772096 mbytes
  filemark 0 kbytes
  speed 31368 kps
}

yes. i read this. but thanks.

But I believe both of these entries have a speed that is indicating
the host cannot keep up with the speed of the tapedrives.

I believe the speed for LTO4 should be near 120Mbyte/second. And probably
(can't find the source where I learned about it) the tapedrive
can slow down to about 50% to the minimum streaming speed.
Below the minimum streaming speed the drive needs to stop/restart
and while doing that, it looses capacity, as you can see from the
length numbers above.  (And besides capacity loss, the wear/tear
on the tape and tapedrive becomes significant as well!)

So I would insert a tape in your drive, and run amtapetape on your
own configuration, to verify if your host is capable to drive the tape
at full speed.  Also take into consideration that amtapetype does
not even read the data from disk.  To be able to read the data at
at least 60Mbyte/sec from disk, you'll need a holdingdisk with a
striped raid setup.

we are planning to use a machine with 48 sata disks in a configuration of
20 + 20 disk in rain 10 + 8 hot spares. this should give enough speed for the drive.

Cheers,
Uwe