Amanda-Users

Re: strange twist on FAILED [data timeout] -- compress none not working correctly

2009-05-13 11:53:53
Subject: Re: strange twist on FAILED [data timeout] -- compress none not working correctly
From: "James D. Freels" <fea AT ornl DOT gov>
To: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 11:37:21 -0400
Thanks to all who have responded so far.

1st, I am aware that what is in debian and ubuntu is not the latest and
greatest.  Indeed, it appears to me that what is in ubuntu is just
debian.  I did not see any bug reports in the ubuntu archives for
amanda.  So, I suspect that there is no real active development over on
the ubuntu tree for amanda, but I do not really know.  I am grateful
that ubuntu does offer amanda in their archives.

Under the Debian tree, there are 3 bug reports.  2 of these are wishlist
items, and the 3rd is a security-related bug that is unrelated to this
issue.

It could be that the upgrade to jaunty has nothing to do with this at
all, and it is just my own suspicion.  I have never had timeout errors
before.

My workaround worked last night and I was able to get all the backups
working by running a large value for dtimeout.

I will work on your recommendations below, and report back if I find
anything.  I think I only have a single gzip process in which case I am
just seeing a long time for gzip of the index.  This would make sense.
As to why my index takes longer, don't know.

--
James D. Freels, Ph.D.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory