Amanda-Users

Re: strange twist on FAILED [data timeout] -- compress none not working correctly

2009-05-12 18:59:58
Subject: Re: strange twist on FAILED [data timeout] -- compress none not working correctly
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: freelsjd AT ornl DOT gov
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 18:43:15 -0400
On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 6:24 PM, James D. Freels <fea AT ornl DOT gov> wrote:
> I got into debugging mode and discovered why this was happening.
> Apparently this upgrade, or a recent change in AMANDA, now forces (or by
> error) the data to be compressed with gzip before going from the client
> to the server.  Even if I specify "compress none" (which I always have)
> or "compress client none" and "compress server none", the gzip is still
> going on.

Keep in mind that anything in the 2.5.2 branch is not "recent".  The
2.5.2p1-3 to 2.5.2p1-4 upgrade you cite is an Ubuntu change, not an
Amanda change -- the relevant Amanda version is 2.5.2p1 for both.  So
I would suggest that you look into the changes Ubuntu made between -3
and -4.  Perhaps they somehow changed the default for compression?

Dustin

--
Open Source Storage Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com